20 history quizzes and answers quiz to test your knowledge
The nation is testing more than ever now, and everyone knows the history round is a staple of the classic pub quiz. So the next time you're at the house party, Google Hangouts, Zoom, or Messenger, think about the old school - do your friends know their kings and queens?
RadioTimes.com is here with your history session for your next online meetup - read on for 20 questions and answers about Medieval Battles, American Presidents, and Arctic Expeditions. Answers are included - but only when you have finished ...
And when you're done, why not try our TV Pub Quiz, Movie Pub Quiz, Music Quiz, or Sports Pub Quiz? There are also many, many more pub quizzes as part of our bumper General knowledge pub quiz .
Hear, hear - let the questions begin ...
History quiz questions
- What year did the Chernobyl disaster occur, as recently dramatized in a critically acclaimed miniseries?
- Who was Lord Mayor of London four times between 1397 and 1419 and the inspiration for a classic English folk tale?
- Who Was the Second President of the United States?
- Who was the only wife of Henry VIII to receive a queen's funeral?
- Which British archaeologist discovered Tutankhamun's tomb?
- Who was the leader of the ill-fated British Antarctic expedition that was one of the first to reach the South Pole in 1912?
- In which European country was there a civil war between 1946 and 1949?
- Which 13th century Scottish knight did Mel Gibson portray in Braveheart?
- What war was waged in South Africa between 1899 and 1902?
- In which country did the battles of El Alamein take place during World War II?
- Who discovered the wreck of the Titanic?
- What year did the Challenger Space Shuttle disaster occur?
- In what year was the Magna Carta signed?
- Which British king suffered from a stutter, as portrayed by Colin Firth in The King’s Speech?
- What was the name of the ship that brought the news of the Battle of Trafalgar to Great Britain?
- Which pilot is known to have fought in the Battle of Britain with two prosthetic legs?
- When did the Korean War end?
- Which real American cross-border commuter did Leonardo DiCaprio portray in The Revenant?
- Which ship is notorious for witnessing the bloodiest mutiny in British naval history? (Note - it's also the name of a Harry Potter character)
- Who Discovered Penicillin?
History quiz answers
- Richard (Dick) Whittington
- John Adams
- Jane Seymour
- Howard Carter
- Robert F. Scott
- William Wallace
- Second Boer War (Allow Boer War)
- Robert Ballard
- King George VI
- HMS Pickle
- Douglas Bader
- It didn't - an armistice was signed in 1953, but the two countries are still technically at war
- Hugh Glass
- HMS Hermine
- Alexander Fleming
Streaming services we think you might like ...